Taking on an Apprentice
Grow your business with an Apprentice
Crawley College is one of the largest apprenticeship training providers in Sussex and has been supporting apprentices for more than 50 years. We're currently managing over 700 apprentices in companies including AJW Aviation, Arora Group, B & CE, Boeing, Colas Ltd, Dyer & Butler Electrical, Hendy Group, HPC Engineering, Mears Group, Mitie Group, Southern Adolescent Care Services, Sussex Community NHS Trust, Taylor Wimpey South East, and Varian Medical Systems, to name just a few.
Apprenticeships - B&CE
Apprenticeships are the most effective way for businesses to train new talent. When it comes to the benefits of taking on an apprentice, the facts speak for themselves. To speak to us about taking on an Apprentice, please call 01293 442333 or email email@example.com.
- 96% of employers have reported a benefit to their business
- 72% of businesses report improved productivity as a result of employing an apprentice
- 66% of employers reported improved product or service, the introduction of new ideas to the organisation, improved staff morale and better staff retention
- Businesses that offer Apprenticeships view them as beneficial to their long-term development
- Apprenticeships enable businesses to grow their skills base
- Apprenticeships are available at Intermediate, Advanced and Higher (degree) level, covering more than 170 industries and 1500 job roles
- The average Apprenticeship completer increases business productivity by £214 per week
- Employers think that qualified apprentices are 15% more employable than those with other qualifications
(Sources: Changing the pace CBI/Pearson Education and Skills Survey 2013 - apprenticeships.org.uk - realbusiness.co.uk - Cebr, Productivity Matters Report, March 2013).
How Apprenticeships work
- Apprenticeships are designed by employers, and are therefore tailored to meet the needs of each specific sector.
- A mixture of on and off-the-job learning enables your apprentice to learn the skills that work best for your business.
- As an employee, an apprentice works alongside experienced staff to gain job specific experience
- Off-the-job, usually on a day release basis, an apprentice receives training with Crawley College, which will include skills relevant to their job alongside transferable workplace skills such as IT and communication
- The apprenticeship programme leads to nationally recognised vocational qualifications
- An apprenticeship will usually take anything from 12 to 36 months to complete, depending on the level and the ability of your apprentice.
New Funding Model
Employers with an annual payroll above £3 million will pay 0.5% of their payroll into an Apprenticeship levy, to use to fund apprenticeships. For employers with a PAYE of less than £3 million, funding will be by co-investment, with the employer typically paying 5% of the cost of Apprenticeship training, and the government funding 95%.
National Minimum Wage
The current National Minimum Wage for apprentices aged 16-18 or 19+ in their first year is £3.90 per hour. Many employers prefer to pay more however, and research shows that the average salary is approximately £178 per week.
Levels and options
At Crawley College, apprentices can study at three different levels, depending on their current level of experience and their job role:
Intermediate Apprenticeship – which will lead to nationally recognised Level 2 vocational qualifications
Advanced Apprenticeship – which will lead to nationally recognised Level 3 vocational qualifications
Higher Apprenticeship – which will lead to nationally recognised vocational qualifications at Level 4 and above.
If you decide to take on an Apprentice, our Workforce and Business Development team will work with you to decide which level the Apprenticeship should be offered at.
Apprenticeships are available at Crawley College in more than 25 sectors, including:
Business, Management & IT
Management and team leading
Warehousing and storage
Construction & Engineering
Carpentry and joinery
Fabrication and welding
Motor vehicle engineering
Plumbing and heating
Hospitality team member
Health, Childcare and Education
Health and social care
Supporting teaching and learning
Find out more about Apprenticeships at Crawley College (pdf)
or call our Apprenticeships team on 01293 442333