So, you’ve applied to study at Crawley College and you’ve been given a date and time for your telephone interview.
But what happens next?
Don’t panic - we’ve got a helpful guide for you.
Telephone Interview FAQs
Why am I being interviewed?
Our interview process allows us to get to know you, help to identify a course which will suit you best and give you a chance to find out more about us!
Should I do anything before my interview?
Yes! First impressions do count, so it’s important to make sure you are prepared and comfortable ahead of your interview.
- Make sure you are in a space with a good phone signal and your phone is fully charged.
- Find a quiet, relaxed space with no distractions. Turn off other devices and let those around you know when your interview is taking place.
- Be ready to answer the phone at the time of your interview!
The key to any interview is preparation. For your college interview, you’ll need to have some information ready:
- Have your predicted or actual grades to hand
- Make sure you know the course you are applying for
- Know your strengths! From team working skills or helping others to IT – we want to know what you’re good at.
- Think about what you’re looking forward to learning in college. What do you want to achieve?
What about the interview itself?
Relax! We know interviews can be nerve-wracking but take a breath and don’t panic. We’re here to help.
- Think about your body language. We may not see you, but if you’re comfortable then you’ll feel more relaxed during your interview.
- Smile! It helps to lift the tone of your voice and you’ll sound positive on the phone. Trust us. It really works.
- Have examples ready for questions you may be asked. We may ask you things like:
- Why have you chosen this course?
- Have you completed any work experience? What did you learn from it?
- Describe your education experience…what are your favourite subjects? How do you like to learn?
- What is your attendance and punctuality like?
What happens at the end of the interview?
You’ll have a chance to find out about us, so think about any questions you’d like to ask your interviewer. You may like to find out:
- What career opportunities your course could lead to?
- Will there be extra costs for equipment?
- How is the work assessed?
- What are the next steps?
Once you’ve finished your interview, make sure you give a polite goodbye and try to remember to thank the interviewer for their time.
I think I need more help
We’re happy to support you through this process and we can provide more pre-interview advice if you need it, just contact us at email@example.com
We can be on loud speaker, if you want the support of someone else during your interview.
We can also provide the support of our additional learning support teams, if this is needed.
The most important thing is to be yourself. Be positive. And have examples ready that show your interest in the course.
Your interview is an exciting opportunity to find out about your course, college life and the experience you’ll have here.
Good luck and we look forward to seeing you in September!