Crawley College students dominate regional Skillweld competition

10 June 2019

Crawley College students took the top three places at this year’s South East regional Skillweld competition.

Joe Cullip, a second year apprentice, took first place at the competition, which was held at the college on Thursday 6 June.

Joe said: “Today has been overwhelming, it’s been a tough day and very nerve-wracking with lots to do in a short amount of time!

“I’m over the moon with this achievement, it’s probably up there as my best.

“I would like to thank the Crawley College lecturers in the welding department as they have been a fantastic help and I would also like to thank my company, Prater Ltd, for giving me this opportunity.”

Bradley Hamilton, a level 3 student, and Chris Myburgh, a first year apprentice, came second and third respectively.

The awards were presented by Skillweld co-ordinator Stephen Haymes, who was joined by Jo Chapel – Head of Learning at Crawley College.

Five other finalists from the college also had their work taken for testing by the competition sponsors, Code-A-Weld, due the quality of their work.

Welding Lecturer Mark Lewis said: “The students all felt the competition had challenged them, and they all felt they had raised their game to meet this.

“They all conducted themselves in a highly professional manner, and represented the department fantastically.

“The judges remarked on how good the quality of the work produced was, and thanked the college for their hospitality and the long-standing support the college has provided in the competition.”

Joe will now wait to see if his score will see him through to the national finals, which will be held in Birmingham in November.